Wednesday 14 April 2010

Blogging helps the soul.

Yeah, that's right. It does. I think if I didn't have a blog I'd just end up frustrated and emotionally unstable with events such as yesterday's.

Let's explain (again). I feel as if I've done a lot of explaining lately.

Anyway:

Okay, I picked Leah up at half ten in the morning, and together we walked to the Lido, where we were meeting Matthew Garniss. When we arrived there, we sat on a bench and admitted how we were both exhausted and couldn't wait to get the thing over and done with so we could go home and die. Exact words.

After waiting for around ten minutes, which seemed longer due to the cold, Leah texted Matt: 'Where are you?'. And he replied: 'St Dunstan's. I'm walking'.

The after-shock of hearing someone walk from Whitehawk to Saltdean, we decided he was a good half an hour away, so it seemed wise to go back to our houses and change. I simply grabbed my coat, and the minute I reached for the computer, my phone vibrated, alerting me that Matt was already there.

Long story short, we get the bus, late already, and the conversation flows mostly between Leah and I, with Matt looking amused/bemused/confused at our choice of topics.

So we get there, we go to Tesco to buy lunch and things. Charlie, who is the person who lives in Seaford and who is our director of sorts, buy oven chips. I immediately panic, because this means he expects us to stay at his house and eat there, while I just want to film and go home. And die. As I mentioned. I exchange slightly worried glances with Leah as we walk into a costume shop.

We buy a Gandalf/Dumbledore wig for reasons I do not know. Apparently, this will be our Duncan. Why? I want to ask. WHY?

We get to Charlie's home, and it is intimidatingly nice. Srsly, it's all neat and tidy and all pastel coloured with golden brown furniture, and a nice view of English fields from the kitchen. Charlie also has a snake which, from what it looked like, tried to open the door of its cage on many occasions, failing of course, but still freaking me and Leah out.

We spend a good forty five minutes playing around on guitars and drum kits, and by we, I mean the boys, until someone mentions how this is 'crap English coursework practice'. I sigh with relief, and join them to go have lunch. Again.

Then, we get started and it's awkward to say the least. Barnaby, Leah and I are not that good actors and actresses, and giggle and smile a lot in the practices. I have one scene, in which I say about four lines, and that's about it. Apparently, we are doing a 'making of', in which we talk about our characters for three minutes, because that is the minimum every person needs to speak.

Yeah, we go to the park, and film a scene, and then we go to some hills and film a scene and Charlie and Matt and Leah and Barnaby are all having buckets of fun, while I can only think of how I should've done this project alone. I actually work out in my mind how I would've done it too; I could be someone phoning a friend, and we gossip about Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.

Buuut, after the last scene, we go back to Charlie's, where we get our stuff and we get on the bus home. We discuss on the bus how much of a pointless day it was and how we're going to fail. And I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way.

Because all the way through, Charlie was adding unnecessary scenes that were only funny to him and then laughing hysterically at them, claiming the were the funniest thing he had ever seen in his life, or he said, "At least we'll get marks for effort".

I felt like screaming, "NO. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT EFFORT. THEY CARE ABOUT ACCURATE CHARACTERS IN SHORT SPACES OF TIME AND THEY CARE ABOUT RELEVANCE TO THE PLAY. THEY ALSO, ONLY WANT ONE SCENE. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WRITE AN ENTIRE PLAY JUST USING THE CHARACTERS. WE ARE GETTING 'E'S, AND THAT WILL BE FOR EFFORT, IF YOU SAY SO."

Even now, I have very very angry with myself for not doing this alone.

Good things out of the day? Matthew Garniss can actually act. Rather well. And he seems to be oddly amused by my random comments like,

"I am going to get home and curl up into a ball and die, after my shower."

"Why?"

"Because Sirius is dead. And I love him. In ways you would not imagine."

*Matt edges away jokily. But edges back afterwards*

But what else can I say about the day? Well, at least we won't fail completely. We'll get 'C's at least. And one bad grade, which isn't necessarily bad, isn't going to affect my life completely. Sure, it's part of my final grade, but I'm sure I'll be fine, seeing as I've been getting A's and A*'s and B+'s. Or, that's what I've been telling myself.

Also, today I am going to the cinema to see Dear John, which, I've wanted to see for a long time. I'm worried about wearing make-up because I fear I'll cry a lot, due to my emotional fragile state since reading OotP.

Oh! And turns out I've read 15 books this year so far, which is weird, but yeah. I'm trying to read 50, so I think I'm off for a good start to far.

Going now, love Melanie.


Books read: 15.
Currently reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and The Soloist by Steven Lopez.
Favourite song atm: Obvious by Hey Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of group projects for the very reasons you seem to prefer working alone too.

    Don't worry too much about your grades. Surely everyone else will be having just as much difficulty as you. What you need are the editing rights to the movie, so you can cut out the bits you don't like ;)

    ReplyDelete