Saturday 2 April 2011

BEDA #2: Sucker Punch and Percy Jackson.


In the title are the two things that happened, or are happening in the case of the latter, in my life recently. I'm just about to finish the second Percy Jackson and I'm really sad that I didn't read it sooner; I suppose the fantasy genre has only recently grown onto me -- due to the Chaos Walking trilogy, which are amazing -- and so I'm just making up for lost time. I'm considering Artemis Fowl too because it just seems like something I should at least try. Plus, I'm trying to read 75 books this year so I might as well.

Sucker Punch was really good. I was doubtful because of the Rotten Tomatoes rating, 20%, since I usually quite agree with the overall thoughts on the film if not the rating. I agree that the strong points are the visuals and the style in which it is executed and that yes, they were better than the plot. Does that make me a hypocrite for what I've said about Avatar? Yes, a bit a suppose. But I still believe that the plot is far superior and original, though I looked forward to the action scenes more, and that the twist(s) were very, very good. I expected a lot of what happened in Avatar to happen and what I didn't did not surprise me that much; whereas the end to Sucker Punch I did not predict at all. I suppose the fact that the female characters are the mains and the fact that they're completely bad-ass and independent and fearless might make me partial.

The only downside I suppose was that it was made like the cut scenes in a video game, and that meant it made me want to go out and fight bad guys and use guns and kill dragons with samurai swords; cut scenes make you excited and eager to play, so I flailed around in my seat and whispering to Ciara, 'It's so awesome!' Because it was. The action scenes were absolutely amazing and breathtaking and were filmed perfectly. As always, Zack Snyder's cinematography is just effortlessly fluid and stylish, and that's why he's one of my favourite directors. If there's someone you want to adapt your comic book to a film, it's Snyder; I love V for Vendetta and think it's pretty much as well executed to its maximum potential, I so would love to see Zack Snyder go all... Zack Snyder on it.

Another thing is that while Sucker Punch wasn't the best film I've seen (Tangled!), the premise and the trailers match up to the film, if that makes sense. The idea I really liked, and Snyder made full use of it; while the trailers show the main parts, it doesn't show the only good parts and there's a lot more to it than the adverts. That I think is what makes a good film; not a good idea itself, but when it is used properly. I quite like the balance of that. Looking forward to the director's cut, because it still felt a bit empty towards the very, very end.

That is all I have to say. Here's a picture of my current spirit animal, Annabeth Chase from the Percy Jackson series:


Love always, Mel.

1 comment:

  1. 75 books? That's ambitious...

    Hmm not how I pictured Annabeth.

    ReplyDelete